The National Nutrition Council Region III (NNC-3) has launched, the “NGF on Wheels” for the Regional Government Center in Barangay Maimpis TODA and Wheeler Association group to promote 2012 Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos (NGF) last January 16, 2014 at DOH Compound City of San Fernando, Pampanga.
The NNC Region III distributed 100 NGF tarpaulin posters to identified areas namely the City of San Fernando, Angeles City, Balanga, Meycuayan City and Barangay Maimpis.
One of the many ways to fast track our information dissemination is through massive information drive for general public and for our fellow public servants through IEC materials such as tarpaulin streamers and posters regarding the 10 NGF messages. Posting the messages on public tricycles and wheelers (tri-bike) will help inform the public about the advocacy on NGF.
The selected tricycle and wheeler drivers signed a contract that requires them to post one poster at the back of their cab which contain one out of the 10 NGF messages, and with a theme dubbed as “ Prevent Malnutrition, Know and Live the 10 Nutrition Guidelines for Filipinos”, for 6 months starting January 16, 2014.
Tarpaulins sized 2”x3” that contain the 10 NGF messages were distributed to Maimipis Barangay Health Center, Maimpis Barangay hall, and TODA and Wheeler Association group.
In 2012, the FNRI-DOST initiated the revision of the 2000 Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos to keep up with the changes in the nutrition situation in the country as well as new information on nutrition and related interventions to address nutrition and related health problems.
The NNC Governing Board approved the revised 2012 NGF in October 2012. The 2012 NGF consists of the 10 messages that include both food-based and behavior-driven guidelines that address current nutritional and dietary concerns. These ten messages are:
- Eat variety of foods everyday to get the nutrients needed by the body.
- Breastfeed infants exclusively from birth up to 6 months then give appropriate complementary foods while continuing breastfeeding for 2 years and beyond for optimum growth and development.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits everyday to get the essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber for regulation of body processes.
- Consume fish, lean meat, poultry egg, dried beans or nuts daily for growth and repair of body tissues.
- Consume milk, milk products and other calcium-rich foods, such as small fish and shellfish everyday for healthy bones and teeth.
- Consume safe foods and water to prevent diarrhea and other food and water borne diseases.
- Use iodized salt to prevent Iodine Deficiency Disorders.
- Limit intake of salty, fried, fatty and sugar-rich foods to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Attain normal body weight through proper diet and moderate physical activity to maintain good health and help prevent obesity.
- Be physically active, make healthy food choices, manage stress, avoid alcoholic beverages and do not smoke to help prevent lifestyle-related non-communicable diseases.
NNC-3 held another launching of “NGF on Wheels” last January 17 in Angeles City; January 21 in Balanga, Bataan ; January 28 in Meycuayan City, Bulacan; and January 30 in the City Hall of City of San Fernando, Pampanga.